Our group has started The Mind at Work. So far, I've learned about the author, Mike Roses' history and education. I find it fascinating that he was not always on the academic track. He studied at a vocational high school and did not finish. However, he went on to teach in a formal education setting. All the while, remembering that blue-collar work takes intelligence. To do any job, one must exhibit know-how that includes the job lingo, tricks of the trade, and finesse.
In Chapter One, Mike talks about his mother's working life as a waitress. He remembers going to work with her and watching those around her. When reading this chapter, I was intrigued by the multi-tasking skills a waitress must develop. She must work on her feet all day and remember orders and make the delivery look effortless. Working with the public is no easy task and, it's even harder, when people are complaining and hungry. Furthermore, the physical layout of a restaurant has to be understood by those who work in it. The environment changes when it's at peak hours and takes on an unpredictable quality. Waitresses must prioritize their tasks and look relaxed while doing so.
So far, I'm thoroughly enjoying Roses' writing style. It's a lot different from novels that you typically read in English classes because it's non-fiction. We learn about Rose, but he is not a character. He is a real person describing his life and experiences. There is no fluffy language or over-the-top descriptions. Rose is honest and upfront in his story and I enjoy the fact that he gets to the point. He makes the writing interesting by taking readers through each worker's daily schedule and duties. You do not feel like you are listening to a story. Instead, you feel like you're right next to him during this process.
I'm glad you like your book so far! I liked your post especially because of your take on the talent it takes to waitress. My friend's mom is a waitress, and whenever we go out to eat he tips a huge amount, because of everything he has heard his mom say about her frustrations being a waitress. It's so true, it's such a tough job that is very under appreciated by much of the public. I feel like if I had read your book I would have gained a lot of respect for career paths I had previously ignored.
ReplyDeleteMichelle I enjoy that you talked about the beginning of the book and the context Rose sets with his own background. Why do you think he chose to begin this way? Would the book have the same effect without his background?
ReplyDelete